The act of moving; change of place or posture; transference, by any means, from one situation to another; natural or appropriate motion; progress; advancement; as, the movement of an army in marching or maneuvering; the movement of a wheel or a machine; the party of movement.
- The act or an instance of moving; a change in place or position.
- A particular manner of moving.
- A change in the location of troops, ships, or aircraft for tactical or strategic purposes.
- A series of actions and events taking place over a period of time and working to foster a principle or policy: a movement toward world peace.
- An organized effort by supporters of a common goal: a leader of the labor movement.
- A tendency or trend: a movement toward larger kitchens.
- A change in the market price of a security or commodity.
- An evacuation of the bowels.
- The matter so evacuated.
- The suggestion or illusion of motion in a painting, sculpture, or design.
- The progression of events in the development of a literary plot.
- The rhythmical or metrical structure of a poetic composition.
- Music A self-contained section of an extended composition.
- A mechanism, such as the works of a watch, that produces or transmits motion.