To purchase back; to regain possession of by payment of a stipulated price; to repurchase.
- To recover ownership of by paying a specified sum.
- To pay off (a promissory note, for example).
- To turn in (coupons, for example) and receive something in exchange.
- To fulfill (a pledge, for example).
- To convert into cash: redeem stocks.
- To set free; rescue or ransom.
- To save from a state of sinfulness and its consequences. See Synonyms at save1.
- To make up for: The low price of the clothes dryer redeems its lack of special features.
- To restore the honor, worth, or reputation of: You botched the last job but can redeem yourself on this one.