The projected spot or circle of light used to illuminate brilliantly a single person or object or group on the stage; leaving the rest of the stage more or less unilluminated; hence, conspicuous public notice.
- A strong beam of light that illuminates only a small area, used especially to center attention on a stage performer.
- A lamp that produces such a light.
- Public notoriety or prominence: She was in the spotlight after she won the marathon.
- An artificial source of light with a strongly focused beam, as on an automobile.
- To illuminate with a spotlight.
- To focus attention on.