The fleshy pome or fruit of a rosaceous tree (Pyrus malus) cultivated in numberless varieties in the temperate zones.
- A deciduous Eurasian tree (Malus pumila) having alternate simple leaves and white or pink flowers.
- The firm, edible, usually rounded fruit of this tree.
- Any of several other plants, especially those with fruits suggestive of the apple, such as the crab apple or custard apple.
- The fruit of any of these plants.
- apple of (one's) eye One that is treasured: Her grandson is the apple of her eye.