The first letter in the Greek alphabet, answering to A, and hence used to denote the beginning.
- The first letter of the Greek alphabet. See Table at alphabet.
- The first one; the beginning.
- Chemistry The first position from a designated carbon atom in an organic molecule at which an atom or radical may be substituted.
- Astronomy The brightest or main star in a constellation.
- The mathematical estimate of the return on a security when the return on the market as a whole is zero. Alpha is derived from a in the formula Ri = a + bRm, which measures the return on a security (Ri) for a given return on the market (Rm) where b is beta.
- Being the highest ranked or most dominant individual of one's sex. Used of social animals: the alpha female of the wolf pack.
- Chemistry Closest to the functional group of atoms in an organic molecule.