Counteracting or preventing putrefaction, or a putrescent tendency in the system; antiputrefactive.
- Of, relating to, or producing antisepsis.
- Capable of preventing infection by inhibiting the growth of microorganisms.
- Thoroughly clean; aseptic. See Synonyms at clean.
- Of or associated with the use of antiseptics.
- Devoid of enlivening or enriching qualities: "This is . . . not at all lighthearted or amiable music. In fact, the tone is unremittingly sober and antiseptic” ( Donal Henahan).
- Free of disturbing or unpleasant features; sanitized: an antiseptic version of history.
- A substance that inhibits the growth and reproduction of disease-causing microorganisms.