Resembling glue or jelly; characterized by a jellylike appearance; gelatinous; as, colloid tumors.
- Chemistry A system in which finely divided particles, which are approximately 10 to 10,000 angstroms in size, are dispersed within a continuous medium in a manner that prevents them from being filtered easily or settled rapidly.
- Chemistry The particulate matter so dispersed.
- Physiology The gelatinous product of the thyroid gland, consisting mainly of thyroglobulin, which serves as the precursor and storage form of thyroid hormone.
- Pathology Gelatinous material resulting from colloid degeneration in diseased tissue.
- Of, relating to, containing, or having the nature of a colloid.