A Chinese public officer or nobleman; a civil or military official in China and Annam.
- A member of any of the nine ranks of high public officials in the Chinese Empire.
- A high government official or bureaucrat.
- A member of an elite group, especially a person having influence or high status in intellectual or cultural circles.
- The official national standard spoken language of China, which is based on the principal dialect spoken in and around Beijing. Also called Guoyu, Putonghua.
- A mandarin orange.
- Of, relating to, or resembling a mandarin.
- Marked by elaborate and refined language or literary style.