Of or pertaining to an office or public trust; as, official duties, or routine.
- Of or relating to an office or a post of authority: official duties.
- Authorized by a proper authority; authoritative: official permission.
- Holding office or serving in a public capacity: an official representative.
- Characteristic of or befitting a person of authority; formal: an official banquet.
- Authorized by or contained in the U.S. Pharmacopoeia or National Formulary. Used of drugs.
- One who holds an office or position, especially one who acts in a subordinate capacity for an institution such as a corporation or governmental agency.
- Sports A referee or umpire.