To cleanse, as streets, from filth.
- To search through for salvageable material: scavenged the garbage cans for food scraps.
- To collect and remove refuse from: The streets are periodically scavenged.
- To collect (salvageable material) by searching.
- To expel (exhaust gases) from a cylinder of an internal-combustion engine.
- To expel exhaust gases from (such a cylinder).
- Metallurgy To clean (molten metal) by chemically removing impurities.
- To search through refuse for useful material.
- To feed on dead or decaying matter.