- A short stocking reaching a point between the ankle and the knee.
- Meteorology A windsock.
- A light shoe worn by comic actors in ancient Greek and Roman plays.
- Comic drama; comedy: "He . . . knew all niceties of the sock and buskin” ( Byron).
- To provide with socks.
- sock away Informal To put (money) away in a safe place for future use.
- sock in To close to air traffic: fog that socked in the airport.
- To hit or strike forcefully; punch.
- To deliver a blow.
- A hard blow or punch.
- sock it to (someone) Slang To deliver a forceful comment, reprimand, or physical blow to someone else.