A particle which expresses the relation of connection or addition. It is used to conjoin a word with a word, a clause with a clause, or a sentence with a sentence.
- Together with or along with; in addition to; as well as. Used to connect words, phrases, or clauses that have the same grammatical function in a construction.
- Added to; plus: Two and two makes four.
- Used to indicate result: Give the boy a chance, and he might surprise you.
- Informal To. Used between finite verbs, such as go, come, try, write, or see: try and find it; come and see. See Usage Note at try.
- Archaic If: and it pleases you.
- forth And other unspecified things of the same class: bought groceries, went to the bank, picked up the dry cleaning, and so forth.
- forth Further in the same manner.
- and then some Informal With considerably more in addition: This project will take all our skill and then some.