In case that; granting, allowing, or supposing that; -- introducing a condition or supposition.
- In the event that: If I were to go, I would be late.
- Granting that: If that is true, what should we do?
- On the condition that: She will play the piano only if she is paid.
- Although possibly; even though: It is a handsome if useless trinket.
- Whether: Ask if he plans to come to the meeting.
- Used to introduce an exclamatory clause, indicating a wish: If they had only come earlier!
- A possibility, condition, or stipulation: There will be no ifs, ands, or buts in this matter.