- A tramp; a vagrant.
- A lazy or shiftless person, especially one who seeks to live solely by the support of others.
- An incompetent, insignificant, or obnoxious person: The batter called the pitcher a bum.
- One who is devoted to a particular activity or milieu: a beach bum.
- To live by begging and scavenging from place to place. Often used with around.
- To loaf.
- To acquire by begging; cadge. See Synonyms at cadge.
- Slang To depress, dishearten, or dismay. Often used with out.
- Inferior; worthless: gave me bum advice; did a bum job of fixing the car.
- Disabled; malfunctioning: a bum shoulder.
- Unfavorable or unfair: got a bum deal on my final grade for the course.
- Unpleasant; lousy: had a bum time at the party.
- on the bum Living as a vagrant or tramp.
- on the bum Out of order; broken.
- Chiefly British Slang The buttocks.