To send away; to give leave of departure; to cause or permit to go; to put away.
- To end the employment or service of; discharge.
- To direct or allow to leave: dismissed troops after the inspection; dismissed the student after reprimanding him.
- To stop considering; rid one's mind of; dispel: dismissed all thoughts of running for office.
- To refuse to accept or recognize; reject: dismissed the claim as highly improbable.
- Law To put (a claim or action) out of court without further hearing.
- Sports To eject (a player or coach) for the remainder of a game.
- Sports To put out (a batter) in cricket.