Producing fruit or vegetation in abundance; fruitful; able to produce abundantly; prolific; fecund; productive; rich; inventive; as, fertile land or fields; a fertile mind or imagination.
- Biology Capable of initiating, sustaining, or supporting reproduction.
- Biology Capable of growing and developing; able to mature: a fertile egg.
- Botany Bearing functional reproductive structures such as seeds or fruit or material such as spores or pollen.
- Bearing or producing crops or vegetation abundantly; fruitful.
- Rich in material needed to sustain plant growth: fertile soil.
- Highly or continuously productive; prolific: a fertile imagination; a fertile source of new ideas.
- Physics Capable of producing fissionable material: fertile thorium 232.