- A protective glove worn with medieval armor.
- A protective glove with a flared cuff, used in manual labor, in certain sports, and for driving.
- A challenge: throw down the gauntlet; take up the gauntlet.
- A dress glove cuffed above the wrist.
- A form of punishment or torture in which people armed with sticks or other weapons arrange themselves in two lines facing each other and beat the person forced to run between them.
- The lines of people so arranged.
- An onslaught or attack from all sides: "The hostages . . . ran the gauntlet of insult on their way to the airport” ( Harper's).
- A severe trial; an ordeal.