Apparently moving backward, and contrary to the succession of the signs, that is, from east to west, as a planet.
- Moving or tending backward.
- Opposite to the usual order; inverted or reversed.
- Reverting to an earlier or inferior condition.
- Astronomy Of or relating to the orbital revolution or axial rotation of a planetary or other celestial body that moves clockwise from east to west, in the direction opposite to most celestial bodies.
- Astronomy Of or relating to the brief, regularly occurring, apparently backward movement of a planetary body in its orbit as viewed against the fixed stars, caused by the differing orbital velocities of Earth and the body observed.
- Archaic Opposed; contrary.
- To move or seem to move backward. See Synonyms at recede1.
- To decline to an inferior state; degenerate.