To scratch or cut the skin of; esp. (Med.), to make small incisions in, by means of a lancet or scarificator, so as to draw blood from the smaller vessels without opening a large vein.
- To make shallow cuts in (the skin), as when vaccinating.
- To create a design on (the skin) by means of shallow cuts that are sometimes rubbed with a colorant or irritant to enhance the resulting scar tissue.
- To break up the surface of (topsoil or pavement).
- To distress deeply, as with severe criticism; lacerate.
- Botany To slit or soften the outer coat of (seeds) in order to speed germination.
- To scare.