To live beyond the life or existence of; to live longer than; to outlive; to outlast; as, to survive a person or an event.
- To remain alive or in existence.
- To carry on despite hardships or trauma; persevere: families that were surviving in tents after the flood.
- To remain functional or usable: I dropped the radio, but it survived.
- To live longer than; outlive: She survived her husband by five years.
- To live, persist, or remain usable through: plants that can survive frosts; a clock that survived a fall.
- To cope with (a trauma or setback); persevere after: survived child abuse.