To turn the course of, as water; to divert and distribute into subordinate channels; to diffuse; to communicate; to transmit; -- followed by to, into, on, upon.
- To obtain or receive from a source.
- To arrive at by reasoning; deduce or infer: derive a conclusion from facts.
- To trace the origin or development of (a word).
- Linguistics To generate (one structure) from another or from a set of others.
- Chemistry To produce or obtain (a compound) from another substance by chemical reaction.
- To issue from a source; originate. See Synonyms at stem1.