- Something designed or likely to be discarded after use, as a free handbill distributed on the street.
- A child or teenager who has been rejected, ejected, or abandoned by parents or guardians and lives on the streets.
- Designed or intended to be discarded after use: throwaway packaging.
- Readily discarding things: a throwaway society.
- Having been rejected, ejected, or abandoned by parents or guardians: throwaway children living on the streets.
- Written or delivered in a low-key or offhand manner: "a sentence fragment or quirky throwaway metaphor” ( Joyce Carol Oates).