The coarse and broken part of flax or hemp, separated from the finer part by the hatchel or swingle.
- To draw or pull behind by a chain or line: a tugboat towing a barge. See Synonyms at pull.
- The act or an instance of towing.
- The condition of being towed: a car with a trailer in tow.
- Something, such as a tugboat, that tows.
- Something, such as a barge or car, that is towed.
- A rope or cable used in towing.
- in tow Under close guidance; in one's charge: The new student was taken in tow by a peer counselor.
- in tow As a companion or follower: came to dinner with a friend in tow.
- Coarse broken flax or hemp fiber prepared for spinning. See Regional Note at gunnysack.