The act of adjusting to a line; arrangement in a line or lines; the state of being so adjusted; a formation in a straight line; also, the line of adjustment; esp., an imaginary line to regulate the formation of troops or of a squadron.
- Arrangement or position in a straight line or in parallel lines.
- The process of adjusting parts so that they are in proper relative position: A set of gears needs periodic alignment.
- The condition of having parts so adjusted: Binocular lenses that are out of alignment will yield a double image.
- A ground plan: Blueprints for the building included an alignment and a profile.
- The act of aligning or the condition of being aligned.
- An arrangement or alliance of groups: a new alignment of factions in the party.
- Sports An arrangement or positioning of players: a defensive alignment.
- Sports The grouping or positioning of teams, as in a conference or league.