Having a genuine original or authority, in opposition to that which is false, fictitious, counterfeit, or apocryphal; being what it purports to be; genuine; not of doubtful origin; real; as, an authentic paper or register.
- Conforming to fact and therefore worthy of trust, reliance, or belief: an authentic account by an eyewitness.
- Having a claimed and verifiable origin or authorship; not counterfeit or copied: an authentic medieval sword.
- Law Executed with due process: an authentic deed.
- Music Of, relating to, or being a medieval mode having a range from its final tone to the octave above it.
- Music Of, relating to, or being a cadence with the dominant chord immediately preceding the tonic chord.
- Obsolete Authoritative.