Independent in government; having the right or power of self-government.
- Not controlled by others or by outside forces; independent: an autonomous judiciary; an autonomous division of a corporate conglomerate.
- Independent in mind or judgment; self-directed.
- Independent of the laws of another state or government; self-governing.
- Of or relating to a self-governing entity: an autonomous legislature.
- Self-governing with respect to local or internal affairs: an autonomous region of a country.