To be the property of; as, Jamaica belongs to Great Britain.
- To be proper, appropriate, or suitable: A napkin belongs at every place setting.
- To be in an appropriate situation or environment: That plant belongs outdoors.
- To be a member of a group, such as a club.
- To fit into a group naturally: No matter what I did, I just didn't belong.
- To have in one's possession. Often used with to: "The earth belongs to the living” ( Thomas Jefferson).
- To be a part of something else: These blades belong to the food processor.