A premium given for a loan, or for a charter or other privilege granted to a company; as the bank paid a bonus for its charter.
- Something given or paid in addition to what is usual or expected.
- A sum of money or an equivalent given to an employee in addition to the employee's usual compensation.
- A sum of money in addition to salary that is given to a professional athlete for signing up with a team.
- A subsidy from a government to an industry.
- A sum of money paid by a government to a war veteran.
- A premium, as of stock, that is given by a corporation to another party, such as a purchaser of its securities.
- A sum of money that is paid by a corporation in excess of interest or royalties charged for the granting of a privilege or a loan to that corporation.
- Basketball An additional free throw awarded to a player who has been fouled when the opposing team has committed more than a specified number of fouls during a period of play.