A bivalve mollusk of many kinds, especially those that are edible; as, the long clam (Mya arenaria), the quahog or round clam (Venus mercenaria), the sea clam or hen clam (Spisula solidissima), and other species of the United States. The name is said to have been given originally to the Tridacna gigas, a huge East Indian bivalve.
- Any of various usually burrowing marine and freshwater bivalve mollusks of the class Pelecypoda, including members of the genera Venus and Mya, many of which are edible.
- The soft edible body of such a mollusk.
- Informal A close-mouthed person, especially one who can keep a secret.
- Slang A dollar: set me back 75 clams.
- To hunt for clams.
- clam up Informal To refuse to talk.
- A clamp or vise.