One of the brachyuran Crustacea. They are mostly marine, and usually have a broad, short body, covered with a strong shell or carapace. The abdomen is small and curled up beneath the body.
- Any of various predominantly marine crustaceans of the division Brachyura within the order Decapoda, characterized by a broad flattened cephalothorax covered by a hard carapace with a small abdomen concealed beneath it, short antennae, and five pairs of legs, of which the anterior pair are large and pincerlike.
- Any of various similar related crustaceans, such as the hermit crab or king crab.
- A horseshoe crab.
- A crab louse.
- Slang Infestation by crab lice.
- The maneuvering of an aircraft partially into a crosswind to compensate for drift.
- A machine for handling or hoisting heavy weights.
- To hunt or catch crabs.
- To scurry sideways in the manner of a crab.
- To drift diagonally or sideways, especially when under tow.
- To direct an aircraft into a crosswind.
- To direct (an aircraft) partly into a crosswind to eliminate drift.
- To cause to move or scurry sideways.
- catch a crab To make a faulty stroke in rowing that causes the blade of the oar to strike the water on the recovery stroke.
- A crab apple tree or its fruit.
- A quarrelsome, ill-tempered person.
- Informal To find fault; criticize someone or something.
- Informal To interfere with and ruin; spoil.
- Informal To find fault with; complain about.
- To make ill-tempered or sullen.