To hold within fixed limits; to comprise; to include; to inclose; to hold.
- To have within; hold.
- To be capable of holding.
- To have as component parts; include or comprise: The album contains many memorable songs.
- To hold or keep within limits; restrain: I could hardly contain my curiosity.
- To halt the spread or development of; check: Science sought an effective method of containing the disease.
- To check the expansion or influence of (a hostile power or ideology) by containment.
- Mathematics To be exactly divisible by.