To restrain within limits; to restrict; to limit; to bound; to shut up; to inclose; to keep close.
- To keep within bounds; restrict: Please confine your remarks to the issues at hand. See Synonyms at limit.
- To shut or keep in, especially to imprison.
- To restrict in movement: The sick child was confined to bed.
- Archaic To border.
- The limits of a space or area; the borders: within the confines of one county.
- Restraining elements: wanted to escape the confines of corporate politics.
- Purview; scope: a theory that is well within the confines of science.
- Archaic A restriction.
- Obsolete A prison.