A debt; an entry on the debtor (Dr.) side of an account; -- mostly used adjectively; as, the debit side of an account.
- Accounting An item of debt as recorded in an account.
- Accounting The left-hand side of an account or accounting ledger where bookkeeping entries are made.
- Accounting An entry of a sum in the left-hand side of an account.
- Accounting The sum of such entries.
- A drawback; a detriment.
- To enter (a sum) on the left-hand side of an account or accounting ledger.
- To charge with a debit: The bank debited my account for the overdrawn check.