To point out; to show; to exhibit; to make evident.
- To show clearly and deliberately; manifest: demonstrated her skill as a gymnast; demonstrate affection by hugging.
- To show to be true by reasoning or adducing evidence; prove: demonstrate a proposition.
- To present by experiments, examples, or practical application; explain and illustrate: demonstrated the laws of physics with laboratory equipment.
- To show the use of (an article) to a prospective buyer: The salesperson plugged in and demonstrated the vacuum cleaner.
- To give a demonstration: described the dance step, then took a partner and demonstrated.
- To participate in a public display of opinion: demonstrated against tax hikes.