To try or to ascertain by an experiment, or by a test or standard; to test; as, to prove the strength of gunpowder or of ordnance; to prove the contents of a vessel by a standard measure.
- To establish the truth or validity of by presentation of argument or evidence.
- Law To establish the authenticity of (a will).
- To determine the quality of by testing; try out.
- Mathematics To demonstrate the validity of (a hypothesis or proposition).
- Mathematics To verify (the result of a calculation).
- Printing To make a sample impression of (type).
- Archaic To find out or learn (something) through experience.
- To be shown to be such; turn out: a theory that proved impractical in practice.
- prove out To turn out well; succeed.