The act of detaching or separating, or the state of being detached.
- The act or process of disconnecting or detaching; separation.
- The state of being separate or detached.
- Indifference to or remoteness from the concerns of others; aloofness: preserved a chilly detachment in his relations with the family.
- Absence of prejudice or bias; disinterest: strove to maintain her professional detachment in the case.
- The dispatch of a military unit, such as troops or ships, from a larger body for a special duty or mission.
- The unit so dispatched.
- A permanent unit, usually smaller than a platoon, organized for special duties.