Two; a card or a die with two spots; as, the deuce of hearts.
- A playing card having two spots or the side of a die bearing two pips.
- A cast of dice totaling two.
- A tied score in tennis in which each player or side has 40 points, or 5 or more games, and one player or side must win 2 successive points to win the game, or 2 successive games to win the set.
- To make the score of (a tennis game or set) deuce.
- The devil: "Love is a bodily infirmity . . . which breaks out the deuce knows how or why” ( Thackeray).
- An outstanding example, especially of something difficult or bad: had a deuce of a time getting out of town; a deuce of a family row.
- A severe reprimand or expression of anger: got the deuce for being late.
- Used as an intensive: What the deuce were they thinking of?