To put to a wrong use; to misapply; to misuse; to put to a bad use; to use for a wrong purpose or end; to pervert; as, to abuse inherited gold; to make an excessive use of; as, to abuse one's authority.
- To use wrongly or improperly; misuse: abuse alcohol; abuse a privilege.
- To hurt or injure by maltreatment; ill-use.
- To force sexual activity on; rape or molest.
- To assail with contemptuous, coarse, or insulting words; revile.
- Obsolete To deceive or trick.
- Improper use or handling; misuse: abuse of authority; drug abuse.
- Physical maltreatment: spousal abuse.
- Sexual abuse.
- An unjust or wrongful practice: a government that commits abuses against its citizens.
- Insulting or coarse language: verbal abuse.
- abuse oneself Vulgar To masturbate.