An instrument for threshing or beating grain from the ear by hand, consisting of a wooden staff or handle, at the end of which a stouter and shorter pole or club, called a swipe, is so hung as to swing freely.
- A manual threshing device consisting of a long wooden handle or staff and a shorter, free-swinging stick attached to its end.
- To beat or strike with or as if with a flail: flailed our horses with the reins.
- To wave or swing vigorously; thrash: flailed my arms to get their attention.
- To thresh using a flail.
- To move vigorously or erratically; thrash about: arms flailing helplessly in the water.
- To strike or lash out violently: boxers flailing at each other in the ring.
- To thresh grain.