Offhand; without previous study; extemporaneous; extempore; as, an impromptu verse.
- Prompted by the occasion rather than being planned in advance: an impromptu party.
- Spoken, performed, done, or composed with little or no preparation; extemporaneous: a few impromptu remarks. See Synonyms at extemporaneous.
- With little or no preparation; extemporaneously.
- Something, such as a speech, that is made or done extemporaneously.
- Music A short composition, especially for the piano, performed in an offhand or extemporized style.