Depression of spirits; a gloomy state continuing a considerable time; deep dejection; gloominess.
- Sadness or depression of the spirits; gloom: "There is melancholy in the wind and sorrow in the grass” ( Charles Kuralt).
- Pensive reflection or contemplation.
- Archaic Black bile.
- Archaic An emotional state characterized by sullenness and outbreaks of violent anger, believed to arise from black bile.
- Affected with or marked by depression of the spirits; sad. See Synonyms at sad.
- Tending to promote sadness or gloom: a letter with some melancholy news.
- Pensive; thoughtful.