The act of depressing.
- The act of depressing.
- The condition of being depressed.
- An area that is sunk below its surroundings; a hollow.
- The condition of feeling sad or despondent.
- Psychology A psychiatric disorder characterized by an inability to concentrate, insomnia, loss of appetite, anhedonia, feelings of extreme sadness, guilt, helplessness and hopelessness, and thoughts of death. Also called clinical depression.
- A reduction in activity or force.
- A reduction in physiological vigor or activity: a depression in respiration.
- A lowering in amount, degree, or position.
- Economics A period of drastic decline in a national or international economy, characterized by decreasing business activity, falling prices, and unemployment.
- Economics The worldwide economic depression from the late 1920s through the 1930s. In the United States, it began with the stock market crash in October, 1929.
- Meteorology A region of low barometric pressure.
- The angular distance below the horizontal plane through the point of observation.
- Astronomy The angular distance of a celestial body below the horizon.