Of or pertaining to the capital or principal city of a country; as, metropolitan luxury.
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of a major city: crowded metropolitan streets; a metropolitan newspaper.
- Of or constituting a large city or urbanized area, including adjacent suburbs and towns: the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area; a metropolitan county.
- Of, relating to, or constituting the home territory of an imperial or colonial state.
- Of or relating to an ecclesiastical metropolitan.
- A citizen of a metropolis, especially one who displays urbane characteristics, attitudes, and values.
- In the Western Christian churches, a bishop with provincial powers, with some authority over suffragan bishops.
- Eastern Orthodox Church A bishop who is head of an ecclesiastical province and ranks next below the patriarch.