Of or pertaining to an occasion or to occasions; occuring at times, but not constant, regular, or systematic; made or happening as opportunity requires or admits; casual; incidental; as, occasional remarks, or efforts.
- Occurring from time to time. See Synonyms at periodic.
- Not habitual; infrequent: took an occasional glass of wine.
- Created for a special occasion: occasional verse.
- Intended for use as the occasion requires: an occasional chair.
- Acting as a cause.
- Acting in a specified capacity from time to time: an occasional hunter.