To impend or hang over.
- To project or extend beyond.
- To loom over: The threat of nuclear war overhangs modern society.
- To ornament with hangings.
- To project over something that lies beneath. See Synonyms at bulge.
- A projecting part, such as an architectural structure or a rock formation.
- An amount of projection: an overhang of six inches.
- Nautical The part of a bow or stern that projects over the water.
- A supply of a commodity in excess of what can easily be disposed of: An unusually warm winter created an overhang in oil stocks.