To follow or pursue with a view to reach, execute, or accomplish; to endeavor to obtain or complete; to carry on; to continue; as, to prosecute a scheme, hope, or claim.
- Law To initiate civil or criminal court action against.
- Law To seek to obtain or enforce by legal action.
- To pursue (an undertaking, for example) until completion; follow to the very end.
- To chase or pursue (a vessel): "He held a dispatch saying that [they] had prosecuted and probably killed an Echo-class missile submarine” ( Tom Clancy).
- To carry on, engage in, or practice.
- Law To initiate and conduct legal proceedings.
- Law To act as prosecutor.