To remain in a given place or condition; to remain in connection with; to abide; to stay.
- To go on with a particular action or in a particular condition; persist.
- To exist over a prolonged period; last.
- To remain in the same state, capacity, or place: She continued as mayor for a second term.
- To go on after an interruption; resume: The negotiations continued after a break for lunch.
- To carry forward; persist in: The police will continue their investigation.
- To carry further in time, space, or development; extend.
- To cause to remain or last; retain.
- To carry on after an interruption; resume.
- Law To postpone or adjourn.