To look out for in advance; to procure beforehand; to get, collect, or make ready for future use; to prepare.
- To furnish; supply: provide food and shelter for a family.
- To make available; afford: a room that provides ample sunlight through French windows.
- To set down as a stipulation: an agreement that provides deadlines for completion of the work.
- Archaic To make ready ahead of time; prepare.
- To take measures in preparation: provided for the common defense of the states in time of war.
- To supply means of subsistence: She provides for her family by working in a hospital.
- To make a stipulation or condition: The Constitution provides for a bicameral legislature.