Any one of numerous species of small passerine birds native of tropical America. See Banana quit, under Banana, and Guitguit.
- To depart from; leave: "You and I are on the point of quitting the theater of our exploits” ( Horatio Nelson).
- To leave the company of: had to quit the gathering in order to be home by midnight.
- To give up; relinquish: quit a job.
- To abandon or put aside; forsake: advised them to quit their dissipated ways.
- To cease or discontinue: asked them to quit talking; quit smoking.
- Computer Science To exit (an application).
- To rid oneself of by paying: quit a debt.
- To release from a burden or responsibility.
- To conduct (oneself) in a specified way: Quit yourselves like adults.
- To cease performing an action. See Synonyms at stop.
- To give up, as in defeat; stop.
- To leave a job.
- Absolved of a duty or an obligation; free.