To miscarry; to bring forth young prematurely.
- To give birth prematurely or before term; miscarry.
- To cease growth before full development or maturation.
- To terminate an operation or procedure, as with a project, missile, airplane, or space vehicle, before completion.
- To cause to terminate (a pregnancy) prematurely, especially before the fetus is viable.
- To cause the expulsion of (an embryo or fetus) before it is viable.
- To give premature birth to (an embryo or fetus).
- To interfere with the development of; conclude prematurely: abort plans for a corporate takeover.
- To terminate before completion: abort a trip because of illness; abort a takeoff.
- To stop the progress of (a disease, for example).
- The act of terminating an operation or procedure, as with a project, missile, airplane, or space vehicle, before completion.
- Computer Science A procedure to terminate execution of a program when an unrecoverable error or malfunction occurs.